We just got back from a ten-day English Immersion Camp on the beach (which we’ll post about in detail soon-ish deba. But get a sneak peek on my Instagram). During one of my classes, I taught my students about American idioms—including “kick the bucket” and the accompanying “bucket list.” As homework, I assigned them to ask the other camp counselors about one item on their bucket list. Here are some of my students’ personal bucket list items:
Awesome, aren’t they? 😀
In the spirit of camp, we’re posting OUR bucket list items for the next two years. Everything we dream of doing during our service! In the spring/summer of 2017, we’ll revisit this list and see which items we can check off! …Here we go:
- Let’s start with the Big List… places to visit: (bolded means we’ve visited already as of the publication of this post)
Rabat, Marrakech, Casablanca, Meknes, Fez, Agadir, Essaouira, El Jadida, Oualidia, Beni Mallal, Ouzoud, Oujda, Berkane, Asilah, Tangier, Chefchaouen, Zagora, Merzouga, Ouarzazate, Moulay Idriss, Ifrane, Safi/Asfi, Mohammedia, Tetouan
- Take a ferry boat from Tangier to Spain
- Learn to make couscous, harira, and rfissa
- Camel trek in the Sahara, camp out, see the stars
- Hike Mt. Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa
- Learn enough Amazigh (Shilha or Tam) to have a basic conversation
- Attend the Imilchil Wedding Festival
- Attend the Gnaoua Music Festival
- Have a snowball fight in Ifrane
- Get massages in a spa hammam
- Play on the beach in Sidi Ifni
- Successfully bargain for rugs
- Visit University of Al-Karaouine, the oldest university in the world (founded by a Muslim woman, FYI!)
- Make pho at home
- Dar Bellarj and Majorelle Gardens
- Take a bus through the infamous, winding Tichka Pass
- Visit Ceuta and Melilla (“fake Spain”), Spanish colonies still within Morocco
- Technical work related bucket list items:
- Robert: Sustainable science club. Regional (or even National) Science Fair. Training of Trainers for health issues. Space camp. Health, First Aid, & Safety workshops.
- Julie: Create a successful creative writing/journalism program. Continue the Write On Program as co-coordinator (and next year, inshallah, as coordinator) as wonderfully as my predecessors did. Write at least one other grant besides the Write On grant for programming in our site. Training of Trainers for TEFL.
- Both of us: Geography program/map project on Dar Chebab wall. As many camps as we can!
- And last but not least… out-of-country travel! Paris for Christmas, Marseilles to visit Zaina Wahda, Spain & Portugal, and Italy.
We’ll add more when we think of more! 🙂